Wednesday 15 April 2015

Review: NARS Sheer Glow VS All Day Luminous Weightless

Hello Princesses!

Today I'm going to be comparing NARS Sheer Glow and All Day Luminous Weightless Foundations! (This will be the last NARS post for a while, sorry for the one brand concentration!) I have both of these foundations in the shade Siberia and even though I haven't done a proper review of NARS Sheer Glow, I thought a quick comparison might be helpful for some who are considering purchasing the new All Day Luminous Weightless formula!

This is quite a long post, complete with grossly close pictures that are collaged in random formats to make me look like an alien. So if you just want the key differences, scroll right down to the bottom to see them listed out! ^.^


NARS Sheer Glow: Siberia
"A glowing, natural radiant finish foundation with sheer and buildable coverage that immaculately evens skin tone. Replete with skincare benefits and the NARS Complexion Brightening Formula, it leaves skin hydrated, more luminous, softer and smoother. Used daily, Sheer Glow Foundation improves the skin's brightness and texture.

For normal, normal-to-dry and dry skin types
Hydrates for softer and smoother skin
Contains powerful anti-oxidants to protect against damaging free radicals and turmeric extract to improve skin's radiance and tone
Dermatologist tested. Non-comedogenic. Fragrance free.

Although the foundation can be built up for more coverage, this is the go-to product for a transparent, weightless foundation with sheer to medium coverage. The foundations give their coverage by pigment, not weight of product, so less is more. Always warm up foundation in the hands and apply with the finger — this creates the most natural-looking finish. Start in the center of the face (where we typically need more coverage) and work out toward the edge of the face. Sheer Glow Foundation is also a great clean-up tool: use it with a concealer brush under the eyes and around the lips to make sure lines are crisp and picture-perfect."(1)
"Full, natural-looking coverage with unexpectedly weightless, 16-hour wear. Highly pigmented and perfectly balanced, this breakthrough formula builds and blends effortlessly with just one drop—the result of exclusive innovation uniquely designed to deliver long-wearing full coverage, weightlessly. Shake, pump and blend in sections for complete coverage that's completely natural looking.

Pure Innovation. Exclusively NARS.
Weightless Long-wear Technology delivers up to 16 hours of wear, while always feeling light-as-air. Featuring advanced flexible polymers and first-to-market treated pigments.
 

Advanced flexible polymers move with the skin, providing extraordinary breathability and comfort.
First-to-market treated pigments weightlessly deliver long-wearing, complete coverage without ever masking for perfected, natural-looking skin.

Even Tone Technology is designed to instantly neutralize redness and dullness, while working long-term to reduce the appearance of discoloration for more even, uniform skin.
 

Gold and green pigments in a perfect 4-to1 ratio optically manipulate how light reflects off skin's surface, evening the complexion for instant luminosity. Green pigments negate redness on contact, while gold combats dullness.
Scarlet Spiderling Root Extract helps reduce the appearance of discoloration and reveal brighter, more even skin over time.

KEY CLAIMS
92% felt the foundation provided coverage without masking*
93% thought it felt weightless*
90% said it felt comfortable and breathable*
*based on an independent consumer study after one week of use."(2)

Obviously there is a huge difference with the bottle structure, the new Luminous Weightless packaging is an elegant frosted glass jar with sharper edges, and comes with it's own pump and cap. The Sheer Glow comes housed in a glossy, round edged glass jar which required you to purchase a pump separately and does not work in conjunction with it's original cap, though the pump does lock.
Even though the shades are the same, there is a small difference in colour on my arm swatches. I don't notice this difference on my face at all so I'm not sure whether the arm swatch appears slightly different due to the pigmentation difference or because they are actually a slightly different colour. 
I decided to see which foundation I liked better by simply wearing the foundations on one side of my face for a day! So on the photo's left side I'm wearing the All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation, and on the right I'm wearing the Sheer Glow. I set both foundations with the NARS Soft Velvet Loose Powder, and primed my skin with the NARS Light Optimizing Primer. I also applied both foundations with my fingers and helped blend the product better by using a short stippling brush
Obviously the first thing you notice from the full face shots is that after 6 hours my face looks ridiculously oily. This happens with the majority of my foundations (EL Doublewear Light and the ATrue CC Cushion are excluded from this one) so I don't really consider this the fault of either foundation, although they don't control my oil at all. The only difference I can see from the initial photos is that the Luminous Weightless foundation accentuates some dry patches on my face which are a result from acne treatment.
If I look at my cheeks/pores quite closely I can see a difference between pore coverage. LW tends to accentuate my already big pores, while SG smooths them out a little. After 6 hours LW breaks up on my skin quite noticeably, while SG stays a little smoother.
The other thing I noticed was that when I applied blush, LW got blended away slightly, while SG stayed in place. You can see the pore difference a little better here.
My chin is usually the pivotal point where I decide if I like the formula of a foundation or not. I almost always have acne on my chin as well as a ton of scarring, which can really mess up foundations and BB Creams. Both of these foundations are no exception, although LW accentuates the dry patches of skin more than SG, and also breaks up and looks chunkier after 6 hours in comparison to SG.
The last thing I noticed was that LW accentuates the fine lines around my eyes much more than SG does.



NARS Sheer Glow
- Doesn't accentuate fine lines
- Doesn't accentuate pores
- Doesn't accentuate dry patches of skin
- Stays solidly on skin with minimal
- Needs to be set with a powder
- Oxidises a little
- Beautiful satin finish
- Good medium, buildable coverage


NARS All Day Luminous Weightless
- Accentuates fine lines
- Accentuates pores
- Accentuates dry patches of skin
- Tends to break up after about 3 hours
- Doesn't need to be set with a powder
- Oxidises a little
- Beautiful satin matte finish
- Not really full coverage 


Final Thoughts
I actually quite like both of these foundations, but I have had a whole year to find out what works best for my skin for Sheer Glow and only one month to figure out the Luminous Weightless formula! I think I just need to find a really good way to apply the LW formula and it will be just as good as Sheer Glow! ^.^ I would highly recommend getting tester samples of both of these formulas to decide which one you like best before splashing about $80NZD on either one.

Have you tried either of these foundations before? What was your preference?

11 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post it was really useful!

    http://aikocamilla.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helpful post ! Where in NZ can i get testers like you recommended ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! (: Mecca Cosmetica is the place to touch NARS goodies, though I do believe that they can send you samples if you email them!

      Delete
  3. Landed on this post while looking for a comparison between both the foundations. You nailed it, didn't find a helpful comparison between sheer glow and all day luminous elsewhere.

    Thanks.

    www.momsaysthat.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reasons, i feel like LW make my skin look worst after i wash it off. I have combination-acne prone skin. Do you feel the same way after washing it off? Cause i use Loreal TrueMatch and my skin feel a lot better after washing it off, compared to LW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I don't think LW makes my skin feel any worse, but in comparison to my BB Creams it definitely doesn't have many skincare benefits!

      Delete
  5. Thank you, I found this post really useful! I was so undecided about which one to get. I have combination skin and I found that the LW did cling to my dry patches and came off my chin and nose after 2/3 hours. SG has a lovely finish but I did find I got a bit oily. This was with Nars primer and powder to set it. If I had to go for one I would say the SG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see we agree! ^ ^ I still think the SG is better than LW after almost a year on!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing.. it's really useful.
    I have tried both foundations and apparently I do agree the comments on LW.
    Also, I start getting breakout after using LW. I'm going to use SG and see if the break out is really due to LW.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is no longer run or moderated. Please visit me at beccam.net if you want to chat!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...